Resources and Infrastructure at IRF in Kiruna
IRF has an extensive research infrastructure with many advanced research environments. Here you will find information about our available resources in the form of lab and technical equipment to perform tests or simulations or to verify concepts.
Research resources in Kiruna
Ground-based systems, for example:
- Auroral Large Imaging System (ALIS) – light-sensitive cameras for auroral studies.
- EISCAT Scientific Association operates a radar system for meteor and ionospheric studies (including auroral studies).
- ESRAD – an MST radar for atmospheric studies in Kiruna.
- NLC camera system – for studies of noctilucent clouds.
Included in IRF’s facilities there are:
- A space simulator for thermal tests
- A calibration laboratory
- An integration laboratory
- A fully equipped mechanical workshop with computer-assisted milling machines
- A plant for the production of liquid nitrogen
IRF’s library in Kiruna is focused on space plasma physics and atmospheric physics. (LÄNK)
Aulan (the auditorium) at IRF in Kiruna can accommodate 208 people.
Restaurant Atmosfären, at the Space Campus in Kiruna, accommodates about 60 people. (LÄNK)