IRF has its head office in Kiruna and also has activities in Umeå, Uppsala and Lund.
There is a joint institute executive for all of IRF’s offices. IRF is under the control of the Ministry of Education and Research and the government has therefore appointed an advisory council.
The IRF Executive
- Prof. Stas Barabash (Director and Head of Solar System Physics and Space Technology Research Programme)
- Prof. Mats André (Deputy Director)
- Dr Urban Brändström (Head of Observatory activities)
- Cecilia Flemström (Personnel Officer and Head of Administration)
- Dr Johan Kero (Head of Solar Terrestrial and Atmospheric Research Programme)
- Assoc. Prof. Yuri Khotyaintsev (Head of Space Plasma Physics Research Programme)
- Dr Rick McGregor (Research and Development Officer)
- Assoc. Prof. Hans Nilsson (Computer Group Manager)
- Anna-Karin Ukonsaari (Financial Manager)
The IRF advisory council (Insynsrådet)
The Government has appointed the following people as members of IRF’s advisory council. IRF’s Director is the chairman of the council, which is entrusted with keeping the government informed about the institute’s activities.
- Stas Barabash (chairman, ex officio)
- Anders Jörle, until 2022-12-31
- Maria Nilsson (Metria), until 2021-12-31
- Olle Norberg (Luleå University of Technology), until 2021-12-31
- Mark Pearce (Royal Institute of Technology), until 2021-12-31
- Ann Persson Grivas (LFV), until 2022-12-31
- Anja Taube (Sami Parliament), until 2021-12-31