Master theses projects
Below are topics available for Master’s thesis projects and shorter student projects at IRF. Completed projects can be found in the right menu.
Simulation of scattering characteristics of Polar Stratospheric Clouds
Simulating lidar signals is important for various kind of sensitivity studies In order to simulate realistic signals from PSCs scattering characteristics for various types of PSCs are required.
It is possible to calculate such characteristics based on measured size distributions and assumptions about particle shape.
- Find information about measured size distributions and particle shapes from available literature.
- Implement a loop over a given size distribution in an available programme to calculate Mueller matrix and phase function for a single particle using the T-matrix approach.
- Calculate scattering characteristics for various size distributions and particle shape approximations.
- Evaluate the sensitivity of scattering characteristics to various parameters of the size distribution.
- Basic knowledge of a programming language; the code will be mostly in Fortran.
- Some knowledge of physical processes in the atmosphere.
Contact person: Peter Voelger, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Solar terrestrial and atmospheric research programme)
Published in March 2020